The A.R.T./New York Theatres
REntal Subsidy Fund
ABOUT THE RENTAL SUBSIDY FUND
The purpose of the Rental Subsidy Fund is to ensure that the A.R.T./New York Theatres are affordable rental spaces for our members in the long term. With generous underwriting from the A.R.T./New York Board of Directors, foundations, and individual donors, the Rental Subsidy Fund will ensure that our weekly rental rates remain affordable, and our rental fees are far below the true cost of operating the theatres and providing the staff support and state-of-the-art equipment that our renters will receive. We envision that the theatres will be made available to the community in accordance with A.R.T./New York’s values.
The last Rental Subsidy Fund application opened on Monday December 5, 2016 and close January 23, 2017 with selections made in Winter 2017. Applications were accepted for available dates between late 2017 through June 2017 in the Jeffrey and Paula Gural Theatre. Look for the application to open again later in 2017.
GENERAL ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
- A.R.T./New York Full Member in good standing with no outstanding dues, rent, or loans
- Companies applying for A.R.T./New York membership in order to be eligible for a grant must apply for membership at least two weeks before the grant deadline and should reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining their intention to apply, in order to ensure their membership is approved in time.
- Annual Operating expenses under $1 million
- Does not own or have long term lease on its own performance venue
- 501(c)(3) or fiscally sponsored
- Proposed rentals must be between three and eight weeks. Each company can receive only one subsidized rental in a in a theatrical season (July-June)
- For proposed rentals that will be a co-production, all companies involved must meet the above guidelines. Applicants applying for a co-production should reach out to Corinne Woods at email@example.com in advance of applying to receive additional guidance and guidelines.
SCHEDULING AND CONTRACTING
At this time, we are only accepting applications for subsidized rentals in the Jeffrey and Paula Gural Theatre for available openings in July-August of 2017 and November 2017-June 2018.
CRITERIA FOR EVALUATION
Applications for subsidized rentals at the A.R.T./New York Theatres will be evaluated by a panel using the below criteria to seek applicants with a diversity of aesthetics and that share A.R.T./New York's values.
- Organizational Identity – Does the proposal clearly define the company’s mission and programming? Does the production for which the company seeks funding seem in sync with the stated mission? Does the company distinguish itself from other applicants in its mission and vision?
- Diversity of Artists and Audiences Served – Does the company distinguish itself from other applicants in serving a unique community of artists and audience members? Are these artists and audiences representative of diverse communities in terms of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, income level, age, and disability that make up New York City? Does the company outline specific strategies for reaching out to diverse audiences and including diverse artists among its creative community?
- Financial Health and Impact of Subsidy Funds – Does the company present a strong and clear financial picture? Are the budgets provided clearly constructed and free from errors? Does the company make a strong case for the impact of working at the A.R.T./New York Theatres? Does the company make a strong and specific reallocation of funds saved through the subsidized rental?
THEATRE TOURS/INFO SESSIONS
These events will be hosted at the A.R.T./New York Theatres and will allow applicants to view the Jeffrey and Paula Gural Theatre and facilities, and have their questions answered about the Rental Subsidy Fund application.
Thursday, January 5 - 5:00pm-7:00pm - Register »
Saturday, January 7 - 11:00am-1:00pm - Register »
NARRATIVE STATEMENT ASSISTANCE
A.R.T./New York staff will review any application narrative that an applicant sends in advance on or before January 9, 2017. The hope is to give applicants who choose to avail themselves of this service the best possible opportunity to create a competitive application. Before doing so, we strongly encourage you to read over the narrative questions and the criteria for evaluation and ensure your narrative addresses these in full. We also strongly encourage you to have a second reader do the same, as well as having someone look over the narrative for a copy-edit.
When sending a draft, please keep in mind:
- A.R.T./New York staff will only look at one draft and provide comments. We cannot review multiple drafts for you before the deadline.
- A.R.T./New York staff will only review your narrative statement, no other application documents may be sent for review prior to submitting your application.
- To ensure feedback in a timely manner, you must submit your draft by January 9, 2017.
- Our staff will look at the draft of your narrative and provide comments and guidance; we will not copy edit or rewrite your narrative for you.
- The individuals providing comments are not voting members of the grant panel.
If seeking a review of your narrative statement please send a draft as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of the A.R.T./New York Programs Team will review it and provide comments.
Before applying, please review all of the above information as well as:
For questions about the Rental Subsidy Fund guidelines, and eligibility, contact Corinne Woods at email@example.com
For questions about the facilities and rental packages, please contact Kendra Ramthun at firstname.lastname@example.org