As the landscape of New York City changes, A.R.T./New York is changing too! Our membership has always been exclusively geared toward organizations, but so many artists and producers work independently. We're here to serve the NYC theatre community, so it's time for us to open up our membership and make space for Independent Producers with our new category of membership.
What does this mean for current members?
Your membership isn't changing, but you'll be excited to learn that our community is growing! You likely know and have worked with independent producers who may not have had access to A.R.T./New York membership. There is now a way for them to access our services and community: Feel free to let them know!
I'm already a member, but I think Independent Producer Membership might be a better fit.
Maybe it is! Keep in mind that Independent Producer memberships have access to the same services as Full and Associate members. Independent Producer Memberships are designed for individuals, therefore aren't set up to share benefits with a staff. If you are truly working as an individual, switching your membership status could simplify things. Email Kati Frazier at email@example.com if you'd like to change your membership status.
I'm not a member, but I think I'd like to join as an Independent Producer.
Great! Take a look at the membership guidelines below, and if you'd like to apply to join A.R.T./New York, just head over to our website. We're excited to have you join our community!
Independent Producer Membership
- Must not be eligible for FULL or ASSOCIATE Theatre Membership;
- Must be self-produced in New York City;
- Must not charge fees to participating artists (including playwrights, actors, designers, and directors) to participate in theatrical productions. Members may charge fees only for legitimate classes and training programs and only if they are clearly dissociated from theatre productions.
- Should demonstrate that projects undertaken are non-profit in spirit, and not generating more than $100,000 in income and expenses on a single project or in a single year.
- Nonprofit incorporation or 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status is not required for Independent Producer Membership, though Independent Producers may be under the umbrella of another organization (ie fiscally sponsored).
Dues for Independent Producer Membership
- $155 (income and expense under $100,000 per year or per project)
Benefits for Independent Producers
- Eligible to apply for the Nancy Quinn Fund Grant (budget must be under $100,000);
- Eligible to apply for Creative Space Grant;
- Eligible for Creative Opportunity Fund Grant (budget must be under $500,000);
- All other services benefits of membership that apply to membership classes, however some programs do have an application process and specific eligibility requirements.
- Independent Producer memberships are not designed to extend benefits to a full staff like other membership categories intended for organizations.