Creative Space GrantS
The A.R.T./New York Creative Space Grant, supported by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, is designed to provide theatre companies with real estate opportunities to help them meet their creative needs. The grant provides A.R.T./New York member theatre companies with 25-150 fully subsidized hours of rental space at A.R.T./New York’s Spaces @ 520 in Manhattan, and South Oxford Space in Fort Greene, Brooklyn. Applicants may request space to meet any need that enables them to better create their work, including but not limited to rehearsals, auditions (no open calls), meeting space, developmental readings, or any combination of the above. Bookings may be made in bulk for multiple hours per day over the course of a few weeks (in the case of a rehearsal), or spread out over the entire grant period (for occasional meetings or reading series). Revenue-generating activities (such as fundraisers or workshops that charge participants to attend) will NOT be supported through this grant. Applicants cannot apply subsidized hours to any bookings that they made prior to receiving their grant notification.
Rental space is available to grantees based on availability. While recipients may request specific studios at either or both of A.R.T./New York’s facilities, A.R.T./New York cannot guarantee that it will be able to accommodate requests exactly as submitted.
Creative Space Grant recipient Ma-Yi Theatre Company's production of Vampire Cowboys' The Inexplicable Redemption of Agent G // Photo by Peter James Zielinski
The application for the July through December Creative Space Grant cycle is due no later than 5pm, Friday, April 19, 2013.
ELIGIBILITY & GUIDELINES
- Applicant must be a current member of A.R.T./New York in good standing with no overdue rent, loans, or member dues.
- Applicant must request between 25 and 150 hours, to be used from July 1 to December 31, 2013.
- Applicant must NOT have allowed previous Creative Space Grant hours to go unused without communication with A.R.T./New York.
- If applicant received hours in FY13, all outstanding hours MUST be booked by May 8, 2013. Applicants that do not reserve all remaining FY13 grant hours by that date might be deemed ineligible to receive FY14 grant hours.
- Applicant will NOT apply hours to bookings made prior to the grant notification.
- Applicant must NOT use the space for revenue-generating, non-mission-related activities, or for open auditions.
Grantees will coordinate space bookings with A.R.T./New York’s facilities staff. The following booking options and guidelines will be applicable to grantees upon receipt of their grant.
- Grantees are eligible to receive subsidized space seven days a week, between 9am-10pm.
- Grantees must clearly state that hours are to be applied to their grant award when making reservations.
- Grantees cannot transfer hours to other companies or individuals.
- Grantees wishing to cancel a reservation must do so at least three days in advance, or those hours will be forfeited. All hours unused by the end of the grant period will also be forfeited.
- Grantees may request timeslots in any of the eight studio and meeting rooms A.R.T./New York maintains at its two shared space facilities. While A.R.T./New York will try to accommodate all requests, rooms are subject to availability. Tables, chairs, pianos, and rehearsal cubes are available at both facilities.
- Storage space is very limited, cannot be guaranteed, and incurs a cost not subsidized by the grant.
- Due to the layout of the facilities, certain noise and capacity restrictions might apply. A.R.T./New York reserves the right to restrict space use, especially for rehearsals and programs that involve dance, excessive noise or occupancy, or the use of musical instruments in excess of the pianos provided. Grantees should confirm with facilities staff prior to booking that the desired studio can support work that involves musical instruments or loud noise, music, or sound equipment.
The Creative Space Grant was made possible by generous funding from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
FY13 ROUND TWO CREATIVE SPACE GRANT RECIPIENTS
The following 50 companies received a total of 4500 hours through the Creative Space Grant program, supported by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, for use between January 1 and June 30, 2013.
- The Artful Conspirators
- The Builders Association
- Cherry Lane Theatre
- The Civilians
- Clubbed Thumb, Inc.
- The Drama League
- Encompass New Opera Theatre
- Epic Theatre Ensemble
- Faux-Real Theatre Company
- Glass Bandits Theater Company
- Golden Fleece
- Guerrilla Shakespeare Project
- Houses on the Moon Theater Company
- Juneteenth Legacy Theatre
- Little Lord
- Ma-Yi Theater Company
- Mabou Mines Development Foundation
- Naked Angels
- The New Group
- New York City Players
- New York Classical Theatre
- New York Neo-Futurists
- Noor Theatre
- Page 73 Productions
- The Play Company
- The Playwrights Realm
- Pan Asian Repertory Theatre
- Parallel Exit
- Peculiar Works Project
- Project Y Theatre Company
- Prospect Theater Company
- Rabbit Hole Ensemble
- Rattlestick Playwrights Theater
- Rising Circle Theater Collective
- The Shadow Box Theatre
- SPACE on Ryder Farm
- Studio 42
- The Talking Band, Inc.
- Target Margin Theater
- The TEAM
- Theater Breaking Through Barriers
- Theatre Askew
- Vampire Cowboys
- viBe Theater Experience
- Vineyard Theatre
- Working Theater